African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Translator (English), CHLS1
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001460/ 50001464
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission.
- In this regard, the Department accords high priority to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, by providing the highest quality of translation, interpretation and terminological services to the Institution. It also seeks to promote multilingualism to enhance communication among staff with the Bank’s clients and partners.
- Within the Language Services Department, the mandate of the Translation Division is to provide high-level translation services by ensuring quality translation of all Bank documents into French from English and vice-versa, as well as editing key documents such as the Bank Group’s Annual Report in English and French.
- Under the general supervision of the Manager, Translation Division, the Senior Translator (English) will Translate from French to English all types of documents needed for the smooth functioning of the organization and work with client departments to build up and compile terminology during the translation process.
Duties and responsibilities
The Senior Translator (English) will:
- Translate from French to English, alone or as part of a team (with other in-house or freelance translators), using IT tools (word processing, spreadsheet and terminology databases), specialized and general dictionaries and glossaries, various documents (policy, administrative, budgetary, financial, legal and economic, social, technical, etc.) prepared or received by the Bank.
- Check the texts to be translated to assess their difficulty and length, determine the reference documents and persons to be consulted.
- Carry out related research and documentation.
- Consult with authors/requesting services and/or experts for clarification or details in case of difficulties of interpretation of a text or explanation of certain technical terms.
- Typeset the entire translated text including tables, charts, figures, etc.
- Undertake research and documentation with reference to the Bank’s documentation and archiving services, external organizations, consultation of other translators or interpreters.
- Create terminology files and glossaries on all areas of Bank activities.
- Contribute to the development and sharing of terminology within the Division (terminology consultation meetings with all members of the Division, non-discriminatory glossary of terms).
- Participate in the meetings organised within the Department or Institution;
- Inform, guide (presentation of documentation and archiving services), advise, and provide tips to new freelancers to help them improve.
- Coordinate and harmonize translated texts in collaboration with other in-house translators.
- Establish and maintain smooth professional relations with authors/requesting entities.
- As part of the translation team, participate at the annual meetings of the AfDB Group.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in translation or a closely related discipline.
- Qualifications in any other discipline relevant to the business of the African Development Bank Group would be an added advantage
- At least five (5) years of practical experience in translation (particularly in economy, finance and/or law), three (3) of which should have been spent working in or with an international organization (preferably in multilateral development banks).
- Ability to adjust rapidly to a complex multicultural environment.
- Ability to fit into a multilingual team and maintain harmonious working relations.
- Proficiency in Translation from French into English, documents produced by various Bank departments with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to consult with clients/authors of documents, and to deal with sensitive issues.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and as part of a multicultural team.
- Excellent writing skills and a sound mastery of various language standards.
- Ability to use all standard Microsoft applications used in the Bank and practical knowledge of computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools.
- Ability to communicate excellently (written and oral) in English and French.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Apply Online
Application Closing Date
2nd March, 2020.
Please, kindly use the Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and WhatsApp share buttons below to help others, thanks.
Wazobia Info Nigeria
Always Serving You Better.