The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research & Markets Officer
Location: Banjul, the Gambia
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Grade: P3 / P4
Agency: Ecowas Regional Competition Authority (ERCA)
Departement: Trade, Customs, Free Movement And Tourism
Division: Competition & Economic Research Analysis
Line Supervisor: PPO Competition & Economic Research Analysis
- The Programme Officer Research and Markets has the responsibility for the management of the daily research and markets analysis in the Division.
Role and Responsibilities
- Undertake research and diagnostics of sector or industry-level market competition constraints, through; competition, rapid assessment tools and standard competition indicators and the application of quantitative and qualitative analytical tools to evaluate competition issues in the region;
- Implement pro-competition market regulations and relevant programs and initiatives, including technical assistance on competition policy, through technical advice, policy dialogue and support to client countries;
- Assist the Principal Officer in mainstreaming the principles of competition policy within ECOWAS’ private sector programs and investments to allow for efficient entry and avoid distortions to the playing field;
- Support and manage projects with competition policy components, with a focus on removing sector-specific constraints to the development of competition in sectors concerned (e.g. agribusiness, infrastructure, finance);
- Contribute to the development of collaborative partnerships with external partners involved in promoting competition in the region and contribute to a coherent strategy across teams for the benefit of the region;
- Contribute to the development of monitoring and evaluation indicators for competition interventions as well as analyse the impact of competition policy interventions. This includes advising regional and sectoral colleagues on the competition dimension of their reform programs and ensuring competition issues are adequately captured by the product-specific M&E systems.
- Research, collect and compile data/information;
- Maintain and update quantitative and qualitative economic databases;
- Process, consolidate, and transform data sets within and between databases using statistical and/or econometric techniques;
- Evaluate economic, financial or statistical relationships in databases;
- Analyse economic time series data;
- Assist with the rigorous economic analysis of data/information;
- Assist in the administration and execution of activities to build capacity with regards to the economics of competition.
- Assist with any other duties as maybe assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Statistics or any related field of study from a recognized University;
- 5 years’ experience in research and statistics, managing and disseminating data;
- Knowledge of terminological and reference research techniques with the ability to use all sources of reference and information to conduct complex research and analyze data;
- Knowledge of data management and statistical harmonization methodologies;
- Knowledge of design and implementation of database and data dissemination computer systems and softwares;
- Knowledge and understanding of the purpose and objectives of the Competition Act, the Competition Commission and the South African economy is highly recommended;
- Knowledge in the use of statistical and econometric methods and programs in economic development research, and ability to integrate multidisciplinary methodologies;
- Knowledge in macroeconomic research methodology as well as in the design and management of research projects, conceptualization and publication;
- Knowledge of economic development issues and policies of West African countries and the availability of professional publications
- Ability to apply statistical methods to the collection and management of information.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
Client Service Orientation:
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data / information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
- UA39,430.35,USD62,213.20 (P3)
- UA46,169.48,USD72,846.21 (P4).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to:
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Application Closing Date
22nd April, 2020.