African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Management Assistant (Short Term Staff) – Country Office
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The Vice President Complex for Agriculture, Human and Social Development is a sectorial complex whose activities revolve around two of the five key priorities of the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy: “Feed Africa” and “improve the quality of life of Africans”. The main objectives of the Complex are:
- The development of policies and strategies;
- The provision of sector-specific expertise in African regions by mobilizing experienced people who can be consulted for complex transactions;
- Development of new financing instruments; and
- Representation of the Bank from external stakeholders to promote its actions to “feed Africa” and “improve the quality of life of Africans.
The Hiring Department
- The Department of Agriculture and Agro-Industry supports the implementation of the “Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa: 2016-2025” program.
- The strategy aims to eradicate hunger and poverty over the next decade through food self-sufficiency in eighteen (18) priority value commodity-based value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones. Achieving the goals set out in the strategy requires increased productivity, added value, investment in infrastructure, an enabling agri-food environment, capital inflows and inclusion, sustainability and effective nutrition.
- The Department is leading efforts to transform Africa’s agricultural systems to increase competitiveness, inclusion and sustainability, as well as enhancing job creation and poverty reduction.
- The main objective of the Project Management Assistant position is to support the supervision of the Integrated Program and Adaptation to Climate Change in the Niger Basin (PIDACC), as part of the implementation of the climate-smart agriculture program of the “Feed Africa: Strategy for the Transformation of Agriculture in Africa: 2016-2025”.
- The strategy is expected to contribute to the AfDB’s vision – as defined in its 10-Year Strategy and strengthened in the Five (5) Key Priority Initiatives – to make the Bank the largest development finance institution in Africa, with the mission of providing quality support to Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in their efforts to reduce poverty.
- The Strategy aims to transform African agriculture by building on eighteen (18) priority value chains and five (5) agro-ecological zones.
- PIDAAC is funded to the tune of US $ 218 million from the AfDB African Development Fund, the Forest Investment Program, the Green Climate Fund, the Global Environment Facility and the European Union. The duration of the program is six (6 years), 2019-2024.
- To ensure close monitoring of national PIDACC projects, the local Project Management Assistants will be based in eight countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Chad. Each candidate must indicate the country of their application.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Chief of the Agricultural Research, Production and Sustainability Division (AHAI.2) of the Department of Agriculture and Agro-Industry (AHAI), the Project Management Assistant will oversee the national component of the PIDACC program in close collaboration with project managers at HQ. The incumbent will:
- Assist the PIDACC Program Officer in monitoring the implementation of the PIDACC Component in the country;
- Assist the national coordination unit of the PIDACC country component in the preparation of Annual Work Plans and Budgets (AWPB/PTBA), as well as procurement files and disbursement requests; ensure the recruitment of project account audit agencies and submission of audit reports in a timely manner;
- Perform or participate in the launch, supervision, mid-term review or program missions in the country;
- Provide technical assistance for the implementation of PIDACC in the country, in particular by ensuring synergy with the components of other countries and respecting the agreed approaches at the regional level;
- Ensure the implementation of program activities in accordance with the rules and procedures of the Bank
- Review and process requests for no objection from program coordination;
- Perform the technical review of study reports;
- Manage relationships with the program supervision agency in the country;
- Collect and update required reports of activities according to the frameworks of donors of the program;
- Produce reports on the implementation of the program;
- Enter contracts into the SAP system;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Division Head, Country Manager or Senior Management of the Bank.
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Rural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Natural Resource Management, Water Resources Management or any other related field;
- Have a better knowledge of agro-silvo-pastoral and climate change issues in the country;
- Have relevant professional experience of at least six (6) years in management and supervision of rural development projects, including at least 4 years as a component leader or coordinator of donor funded projects;
- Proof of citizenship or evidence of permanent residency or work authorization in the proposed country of employment;
- Have professional experience in the participatory approach of project implementation, particularly in the organization and supervision of producers;
- Have good knowledge and understanding of the functioning of the administration in the country;
- Have work experience in the country;
- Have experience working with the Bank or other similar institutions;
- Good written and oral skills in French or English with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP or other ERP systems would be an asset;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Closing Date
22nd September, 2019.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for further assessment will be contacted. Applicants should submit with their application:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Scanned copies of relevant certified educational qualifications
- Proof of citizenship or evidence of permanent residency or work authorization in the proposed country of employment
- Any additional document that may be stated as required.
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
If you need us to help you with more updated information about African Development Bank Group (AfDB) Recruitment, kindly feel free to ask any question in the comment box below. You can also provide us your phone number or email Address for more updates.
Please, kindly use the Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and WhatsApp share buttons below to help others, thanks.
Wazobia Info Nigeria
Always Serving You Better.