Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Intern
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2020/0046
Location: Yola Office
Length of internship: 12 Months
- Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with: Accommodation and Travel to base
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
The Small-Town Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (STWASH) program is a five-year, initiative funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), covering the states of Adamawa, Yobe, and Borno in North East Nigeria. The activity will directly benefit 140,000 households across the three states. Our team, led by Mercy Corps in partnership with WaterAid, is well placed to support the sustainable improvements in access to basic water and sanitation that are necessary to facilitate ongoing recovery, peacebuilding, and economic development across the region.
- Provide full support to STWASH activity and ensure proper management of the day to day affairs of the program.
- Handle sensitive and complex issues in a professional and objective manner; also take initiative as appropriate.
- MCN Intern Scope of Work
- Manage the STWASH activities’ travel arrangements
- Maintain the office systems, including data management and filing
- Deal with appropriate request
- Assist Supervisor in researching and following up with action on matters which fall within the executive’s responsibility – chasing responses, triggering follow-up action.
- Produce documents, briefing papers, reports and presentations for Supervisor
- Organize meetings and ensure that the Team is well prepared for those meetings
- Preparing agendas and minutes of meetings. Make arrangements for top management meetings.
- Any other administrative duties as may reasonably be required by the supervisor
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy
Ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- B.Sc / HND in Secretarial Administration or Office Management with post NYSC experience in executive support to management.
- Females are highly encouraged to apply
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, to enable professional interaction with a wide range of contacts.
- Ability to organize and plan work schedule
- Excellent attention to detail, with the ability to maintain a high level of accuracy
- A flexible, pro-active approach to work including the ability to prioritize and re-prioritize
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and take initiative
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent IT skills, including a working knowledge of presentation software packages, preferably Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Internet surfing skills
MCN Intern Scope of Work
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive: N100,000 Monthly
- The position is based in Adamawa may require travel to field offices in and around Mercy Corps Nigeria as and when required.
Application Closing Date
13th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected] with “Job title” as subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.