The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Analyst (Codes, Standards & Procedures)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Grade: P3 / P4
Line Supervisor: PPO Procurement
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Directorate: Administration and General Services
Department: General Administration and Conference
- Under the supervision of the Head of the procurement Division, this position has the responsibility for the management of the daily procurement activities in the division by ensuring that procurement procedures (including for Grants) conducted within the Commission are in conformity with its laws and regulations, donors’ requirements and those of other stakeholders.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide day-to-day active technical support and advice as related to procurement and contract management, at all stages of the procurement cycle in line with the ECOWAS Standard Procurement Procedures;
- Maintain application of relevant Donor’s Guidelines for project related procurement of construction works, goods and services and Intellectual services;
- Prepare Procurement and Monitoring Plans for ECOWAS Commission procurement activities;
- Formulate strategies and design innovative solutions if necessary to resolve issues/conflicts related to the implementation of the Procurement Procedures;
- Support in the preparation and finalization of a variety of procurement-related documents (Standard biding documents, Standard evaluation reports, standard contracts, Standard Procurement reports Templates);
- Support in the finalization of the revised Procurement Manual and the preparation of the Grant Manual;
- Monitor progress of contracts implementation to ensure that it abides by the stipulated standards procedures and planned procurement timetable;
- Identify any delays/issues relating to the implementation of the Procurement Procedures within the Institutions;
- Take care of any other official mission assigned to him by his Superiors.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Business Administration, Public Administration, Commerce, Supply Chain, Law or a related field from a recognized university;
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Procurement and /or Supply chain Management for a Public Institution, International Organization, NGO or Multilateral Aid Agencies;
- Knowledge of procurement policies, processes and procedures of Development Partners such as World Bank, African Development Bank, European Union;
- Knowledge of an Enterprise Resource Planning system or other procurement related management system;
- Relevant training in Procurement or Supply chain Management will be an advantage.
ECOWAS Key Competencies
- Ability to persuade / influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees / junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify ,organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and / or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
- UA49,106.81, USD77,480.72 (P3)
- UA56,591.37, USD89,289.87 (P4)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: using the “Job title” as subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Application Closing Date
22nd April, 2020.